Tuesday 1 April 2008

The difficult second album...

In a blinding flash of enlightenment it came to me today (whilst I was serving an almost comically pompous customer) that the reason I have made this blog isn't for exhibition purposes or for recognition but because this blog (by making me to write to an 'audience') forces me to correlate my thoughts and make sense of myself. In short, it centres me.

oh what a pleasa
nt feeling...

However this makes it notoriously difficult to write these posts (yes all 2 of them) as my daily thoughts either disappear if not noted down or have no real weight. Which is why I've decided to create a broad focus of my blog.

And behind door no.1: each post will have some sort of general theme or purpose other than my musings...

that reminds me, Musing No.2:


Some love him, some hate him but what the divided community can all agree on is that Dave Shrigley is most certainly an outsider.
Perhaps the best outsider artist? I certainly think so, definitely check him out and give him a go, he'll make you question yourself whilst laughing incredibly hard. Quite a talent that man has. I recommend his short film also, voiced by the brilliant Kevin Eldon.
Enough bum licking.
These 'musings' will almost definitely appear in ever post, most definitely contain some other form of media and certainly begin to piss you off.

I felt my last/first post was a little down-beat so I've decided that the focus of this post shall be comedy. A unique post subject I'm sure you'd agree.

Top Ten TV Comedies:
  1. The Office
  2. Extras
  3. Garth Marenghi's Dark Place
  4. Green Wing
  5. The Adam & Joe Show
  6. Peep Show
  7. Curb your Enthusiasm
  8. Spaced
  9. Ren & Stimpy
  10. Nathan Barley
Quite a tall order, and I had to leave out some real gold (Mighty Boosh, The Young Ones, South Park etc.) but there is my definitive ten favourite TV 'comedies' (I'm starting to detest that word). Comedy is a word that should be reversed for Lenny Henry, Jim Davidson, Ben Elton etc. And not for the work produced by some of the most seminal writers of all time!
'Comedy' I believe is one of the very few deciding factors of intelligence. It's undeniable that there are an incredibly large and varied ways for an individual to be knowledgeable and/or intelligent (except for the aristocracy, they have no hope in hell) but to understand/appreciate and/or write a sitcom, stand-up set or film that makes people laugh in a way that also engages their thoughts and beliefs requires a sheer magnitude of intelligence. Anyone can make a room of automatons laugh, just by using a catchphrase, silly voice or melodrama (Extras proves this relentlessly, as do many American sitcoms ((although they are without irony...)) but the above 10 (and many others) achieve these desired effects in a way that only the great artists do. It's hard to explain, or perhaps I'm ill-equipped but I can feel the desperation of my opinion dragging my point along.

Good comedy is also great literature, now isn't that easier on the eyes?


No comments: